It may seem a little counter intuitive for me to be posting cookie recipes alongside how to resist the abundance of food posts… BUT it is Christmas and baking is part of it. We can bake and give cookies away or send them to school with the kids. It’s part of the Christmas spirit. Really, I’m not against EATING the yummy stuff that comes out at Christmas, I’m opposed to gorging yourself on it. Which really isn’t healthy for you and your tummy will really not like you for it.
On to the recipe!
This recipe isn’t “healthy,” It’s not sugar, or gluten-free, low-fat, low carb, or low calorie, sometimes those treats are great making it easy to indulge while staying on track, but sometimes, you just gotta eat the real thing. These sugar cookies are just pure Christmas goodness.
These are the cookies I grew up on, my mom has been making them as long as I can remember and my three brothers and I would clamor to help cut the cookie shapes out, put the frosting on and of course eat them! It’s just not Christmas without my mom’s sugar cookies and now I make these every year and even get my 6 year old niece involved – so we’re keeping it in the family. She loves it! They are so good and soo pretty when decorated, they are so pretty you almost don’t want to even eat them – ALMOST. If you have kids, get them involved, they love it!
SUGAR COOKIES RECIPE
3 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 cup butter, softened
1 1/4 cup of sugar
1 tsp of vanilla
1/2 teaspoon of almond extract
1. Combine flour and baking powder, stir well to blend.
2. In another bowl cream butter and sugar till light and fluffy. Beat in almond and vanilla extract.
3. Add flour mixtures to creamed mixture and mix well.
4. Form dough into two balls, wrap and chill about 3 hours for easy handling.
5. Roll out dough, one ball at a time, on a floured surface to 1/4 inch thickness. Cut into shapes (you may decorate before baking or wait until after)
6. Bake at 375 for 8-10 minutes or till lightly golden.
7. Decorate when cool. Makes approximately 50 cookies.
1 cup of butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
4 cups of icing sugar
2 tablespoons of milk
Cream butter with electric mixer. Add vanilla. Gradually add sugar, one cup at a time, beating well on medium speed. Scrape sides of bowl often. Add milk and beat at medium speed until light and fluffy – makes about 3 cups. Keep icing covered with a damp cloth until ready to use.
** Calories per un-iced cookies if you end up with 50 (so maybe one of the star sized cookies) is about 80 calories each,with 5 grams of sugar, so not really that bad for you.